Tuesday, April 30, 2013

He Finally Did It!

Some of you may remember my father in law has been looking for a horse, like, forever. Well he finally came home with one last night!! Wait till you hear about him, he is such a neat horse!

Its been a long, hard battle finding a decent horse for no more then $1500 around here. They were either too short, didnt know anything, or just plain ugly. Or a mare. Lol, yeah, the FIL doesn't do mares. I can't blame him, lol. Most of the horses I have gotten along with the best in my life have been geldings.

Anyway, he is a 8 year old reg QH, who is also registered with the Palomino Association AND the American Ranch Horse Association! Hah, another palomino at the house! They are taking over!!

 He has been shown all his life in pleasure, english pleasure, road hack (like HUS but with a hand gallop) trail and showmanship. He should have some pretty neat buttons to play with! She said he also trail rides. I cannot WAIT to ride him! Man, I so should have called in sick today! ;) I am also a little intimitated, he will defintely know more then I do. Hopefully I can work off all the things I have read/seen and put something together at we can both understand.

They just called him 'biggun' previously so the FIL said he will probably call him Chatter or Chad, something like that. His registered name is Golden Chatterbox.

It's driving me crazy because I can't find his papers online! AH! Wait! I was searching again right after I said this and found a sale ad on him! Weird that it is for an auction in Kentucky?? Hm, guess he didn't bring what they want. But the FIL only paid $1500 for him, which is outrageously cheap if he is all they say he is! Hm! Also found an ad from two years ago listing him for 8 GRAND! Holy moly, which is what he is likely worth. So I guess the lady that had him bought him, then decided two years later to sell him. She told the father in law that she was getting out of the pleasure stuff into roping, and also wanted to build a covered arena, lol.

Here is what the ads say about him:

AQHA INCENTIVE FUND
GOLDEN CHATTERBOX
Foaled: 2005. Color: Palomino.

Gather round and take a look at 
this big, stout palomino gelding 
that’s triple registered and is the 
earner of 22 halter, 2 color, 3 WP, 
17 HUS, and 9 road hack pts. in 
the PHBA. In 2010 was res. 
American ranch horse select 
halter, 3rd in open geldings. He is 
broke the very best and sure 
knows how to do his job. Great 
for youth or amateur. 100% sound 
and sane. Come by and watch him 
ride. Don’t miss him. HYPP N/N.


Here is the ad from two years ago:


Big beautiful AQHA gelding! Reserve World Halter 
Champion at the 2010 American Ranch Horse Association, 
3rd in open geldings and finalists in western ranch riding. 
He has points in PHBA points as follows:22 halter, 2 color, 
3 western pleasure, 17 hunter under saddle, & 9 road hack. 
Super extension for hunter under saddle but can drop back to 
the little slow jog for western. Has done very well in the show
 ring at registered shows and open shows. He will also do showmanship 
and has been started over small jumps. 
If you are looking for a big bodied horse that will halter 
and then ride - you need to consider this gelding. 
HYPP N/N


Thats so neat he has done so much. It would be really fun to take him to the local shows. Then let Chloe lead line on him! Hope the FIL doesn't mind sharrinngggg. Hey, I let them all ride my horse for years! (PS, did you see the part about jumps?? HEHEHEHE)

Picture time!





I can see why he has more points in english, lookit 'im go! Def nice extension! I can also see they are riding him with his poll a little lower then I like. But that's fixable. In all his english pictures it looks like he is on a fairly loopy rein, which is super nice to know you don't have to crank him into it. Not real sure why he is in a breastplate though. Very few HUS horses wear one these days (not in style dontcha know :roll eyes:) and if they do they certainly don't have a martingale att on it. Which it looks like his does, its hard to see though. (as you can tell I have a lot of time on my hands at work to analyze things! LOL)

And now, for his lineage! His sire granddaddy is Impressive, and on his dams side his great granddaddy was Watch Joe Jack (pleasure), nice nice. Definitely glad he is N/N. That would have been a deal breaker!

Here's how it all went down. About every day I get on craigslist and cruise around looking for horses. If I find one I think is halfway decent I will text it to the bro in law who shows it to my FIL. Well I saw Chatter yesterday and sent it right on. Didn't think anything else about it. Then I get a call around 7:30 that night wanting to know if I had a wire hook up of some sort for the horse trailer in my explorer. Because they BOUGHT THE HORSE! Wha?? Apparently he liked the looks of him, called the lady and since they were already near that area looking for pickup trucks they went and tried him out! And obviously liked him. So the lady works and couldn't have anyone there the rest of the week so they could get him, so they went and got him last night. Its a good hour and half away form our house which means they didn't get home until almost twelve last night, ugh! They put him in the round pen to keep him safe for the night.

Chloe and I took our little selves over there first thing this morning before work. He apparently does not like being alone since they said he neighed all night long. He also had a nice mooshy track of mud around the entire perimeter dug out, lol.

I have some crappy/shady phone pics from this morning:


Really like his conformation. Longish back, but those usually make great gaits. He has a good looking hind end that will get better with some more meat on his bones and consistent work. She said they went to a show last month but I bet he hasn't been rode a whole lot this winter. And look! He has withers! Every horse I've had never have any to amount to anything, thus the eternally slipping saddle. He is still shedding out as you can see on his belly. His tail is really pretty but his mane is pretty thin and scraggly. Maybe pulled that way? Dunno, you can def tell it hasn't been pulled in a while, long. Probably not since last show season. Doesn't matter anyway, the FIL definitely is not going to be pulling it! ;)


I call this his 'sexy walk', lol


He was pretty unsettled while I was there. Pacing around, neighing. But he did come up to see us and was quite happy to eat as many cookies as he was offered! The father in law was off to town to get him some grain as the lady said he gets a bucket full morning and evening. Hard to tell! He is at least a couple hundred pounds underweight to me. Which all of ours are a little ribby right now as well. Its the end of hay and just beginning of grass growing. 

Well I guess I've jabbered enough. Will definitely be updating as things progress! In case some of you have not read my personal blog, I'm pregnant again! Baby #2 is on the way Dec 3rd! So I'm about 2 1/2 months now, long ways to go! But it kinda bums me out about riding. I know a lot of women ride up until they feel like their big belly is in the way. But after the baby moves up out of the safety of the pelvis, (around 12 weeks) I am real leary bout riding. Any trauma to the belly after that can be really bad. I haven't fallen off a horse in probably almost 10 years, but that doesn't mean anything! So I have another month or so before I need to be cautious. 

So I posted on Cisco's blog about a new four horse slant load we bought a few months ago. We love it! But it only got to haul a horse twice because the truck we had to haul it got totalled a month or so ago. UGH! So its parked in the yard and hasn't moved. Hopefully the BIL will be able to find another soon! Chatter definitely fits that fancy thing now! :) Him and Stormy would make that thing look good. 

Until later! 

3 comments:

in2paints said...

Nice looking boy! I think he was a steal at that price. Can't wait to hear more about him and see pictures of him under saddle with you guys.

And "Biggun"? Poor horse... I definitely like Chatter or Chad better! LOL

in2paints said...

Oh yeah, and congratulations on baby number two!! I bet Chloe can't wait for a new brother or sister! :)

And I completely agree with you about not riding while you're pregnant. A friend of mine rode right up until she went into labor, but I just don't think it's worth it. You could have the safest horse in the world, but he could still trip and fall. Not worth the risk, in my opinion.

Britnie - Riding During Naps said...

I think so too, Becca! I know, I can't wait to ride him but its supposed to rain all freakin week/weekend. BOO!

And your totally right about any horse can fall! You just never know!