Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Object Is To Be A Good Boy

So the brother in law said he was going to call the farrier out sometime this week the other day. And immediately I was like, uh oh, I better get out there and work with Tuff! I usually go out there about once a month to refresh him up a bit on all the things he knows, and have never had any troubles with him really. He remembers things pretty well I think.

But allegedly, yes, ALLEGEDLY, he was a major PIA last time the farrier was out. I had to work so I wasn't there. Ugh, I wish I had been there! Apparently they had to twitch him and STILL couldn't get him to behave. Lee said he was striking out with his front feet and everything. What the?! My ANGEL! No way! I still don't believe it. He has NEVER even half way acted that way before. Not even when he was a colt! Anyway! It apparently happened, though I have no idea why. If I had been there I might have figured it out and fixed it, I don't know. I definitely plan on being there this time!

So yesterday afternoon I drug Lee out there with me to play 'farrier', lol. Drug being the key word here -_-. So as we were walking down the lane to the pasture my lovely husband thought it would be amusing to find a stick and hit me on the butt and legs with it. Thanks a lot. So I was making quite a bit of racket trying to get him to stop. And then we heard rustling and out popped Tuff Tuff! Yeah! :) Thats him coming to see us in the top picture.

So I grabbed him and did a bit of walking and attempting to pivot, which he was doing terribly that day! And then trotting off and stopping promptly. And some setting up, which he is getting quite good at! (he should, I've been dong it with him since he was 5 months!) Then I held him while Lee picked up his feet a bit, but when I told him to put his front hoove between his knees he said no way! I'm not a farrier, so I had to get him to hold Tuff while I did it, picking up a rock and 'rasping' on it as well. Which he stood very well for.

Now his hind end was not so good. He kept trying to pull his leg back, not hard, but it was annoying. I growled at him a bit and smacked him on the butt a few times, no help. So I grabbed the lead rope from Lee and whipped his butt around in little circles both directions a few times and then gave him back to Lee and picked up his back leg again like nothing happened. He tried it a few more times but after the butt smack he decided it wasn't worth it to go through the circles again I guess! Because he stood very well. I went up and did his other front, then his back, and had no further issues! He stood like a good boy. Which IS the object, right Tuff Tuff?? ;)

Then I took the lead rope from hubby and told him it was his turn, lol. He did the rounds again while I took pictures (of course). We were out there for about 30 minutes I guess. This picture here is hilarious, have you see a horse blink with one eye before? Or maybe he is just winking at me, lol. Yeah, thats it.

So thats about it! Stormy and Skip of course were a little pesty. Wanting in the bucket and getting in the way. But we chased em off. It was funny, one time I was trotting Tuff towards them and they scattered like we were chasing them.

Skip has beefed out! I don't think I got a good picture of him, but he is CHUNKY and still short, haha. I think he will have another growth spurt soon though. Tuff is filling out a bit, but nothing like that. Thats okay though, I don't want a chunky monkey! Nicely muscled is good. I can still see a huge difference from a month ago to now though, check it out:


First of August


And yesterday the end of September

I know the first picture is a terrible angle, but still. I see a big difference in his overall body condition and he just looks more 'mature'. Looks like hes going to have no withers like his momma though, and a longish back. Forgive the terrible feet and mustang mane! Both are being remedied soon ;).

So good news! The round pen is all painted and ready, but the bad news is that its STILL not up. -_- The inlaws are a bit slow about things. Although it DID rain nonstop virtually all of September. The FIL is wanting to get the ground leveled out before we set it up. He has done some work on it, not sure how much he lacks. I'm SO READY to use it!

Things I Want To Do In The Round Pen With Tuff:
  1. Lunge
  2. Ground Drive
  3. Free Lunge
  4. Saddle Work
  5. De-spooking Stuff (work with tarps, bags, etc)
  6. RIDING (when his body decides to grow into an adult horse)
So I'm pretty excited! There are a lot of things its going to be soo useful for. Sure I can do these without one, but it makes it SO much easier and makes me a lot more comfortable.

I'll keep yall updated! I'll leave you with a few more pics!


Other side!
"Good boy"

Now does this look like a wild thing?

A neat tree in the lane

Tuff following us back


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If he used to stand well for the farrier and now doesn't, it might be that something the farrier did - perhaps not intentionally - hurts. My mare Maisie has stifle issues and my farrier has to be careful how he holds her legs in order not to make it painful for her.
Also, if the farrier was fighting with him last time - twitching surely sounds like that to me - it's possible that his behavior may not improve or may even get worse, as he'll be expecting to be coerced. But maybe not, if he's a forgiving type! Good luck with that, and your training!

Britnie - Riding During Naps said...

Kate, I totalllyyy agree. I mean, it doesn't seem like him at all, and I also started thinking, what if he cut too close, etc, or was off balance, or something. You know, stuff that only I would notice that would cause that. But who knows. My husband just keeps going on and on about what a major pain he was! (but he also is not a horse person)

And yes, I am kind of worried about his attitude toward the farrier when he comes again also. :/ He is pretty forgiving, I think, so hopefully he will be okay. I think I'm going to bring some carrots with me for help if I need it, hehe.

in2paints said...

Wow! Tuff looks great! What a change from the first picture to the second picture. He's looking good. Your little boy is growing up!

No offense to anyone (your farrier, hubby, or any other males) but men tend to be more forceful and less forgiving. Hubby not being a horse person probably didn't handle Tuff the same way you would have, so maybe if you're there next time it'll go better.

I had a farrier once that WHAPPED Lilly on the belly really hard with his rasp when she was being a little wiggly. I was like, "um... excuse me!" That was his last day. No one hits my horse like that, especially for just being wiggly.

Lilly does this thing with her feet when my farrier tacks on a shoe and sets her foot down where she stomps and then paws, as if she's trying out her new shoes to see how they feel. It's really funny and even my farrier finds it amusing. So maybe Tuff is just trying out his new feet! :)

Britnie - Riding During Naps said...

Becca, thanks! I thought there was a big change too!

And I totally agree about the man thing and the hubby not being a horse guy! And how dare that farrier smack your horse, good grief! Hes lucky she didnt kick his teeth in, or you! haha

LOL at Lilly, that is funny! You need to get that on video, haha